LICENSED FOOD ESTABLISHMENT
I want to open a restaurant or retail food establishment.
Here is the documentation and permit application you'll need:
Requirements for Retail Food Establishments
TEMPORARY FOOD STAND
I want to operate a temporary food/retail food stand.
Here is the permit application you'll need:
Brown County Temporary Food Permit Application
I want to have a bake sale
See below for guidance on selling baked goods:
Guidelines for Selling Baked Goods
FARMERS' MARKET &
COTTAGE FOOD OPERATIONS
What are the requirements for farmers' markets or cottage food operations?
• IDPH Technical Information Bulletin Number 30 — Sanitation Guidelines for Farmers Markets
• Illinois Farmers Market Food Safety: A Guide for Vendors, Market Managers, and Consumers
• IDPH Technical Information Bulletin Number 44 — Cottage Food Operation
• IDPH Technical Information Bulletin Number 44A — Cottage Food Operations Supplemental
• Guidance for Bake Sales
I want to sell meat/poultry or eggs at a farmers' market.
• First, contact Brown County Health Department at (217) 773-2714.
• Obtain a “Temporary Food Permit” from Brown County Health Department.
• For meat/poultry, you must first obtain a meat & poultry license. Information can be found here from Illinois Department of Agriculture.
• For selling eggs, you must obtain an egg broker’s license. Information can be found here from Illinois Department of Agriculture.
PRIVATE SEWAGE DISPOSAL (SEPTIC)
I want information on installing and/or maintaining a septic system.
Here is the application and Illinois code information you'll need:
Brown County Septic Application
77 Ill. Admin Part 905 — Illinois Private Sewage Disposal Licensing Act and Code
Other Septic Information:
• Tips on keeping your septic system functioning properly
• Septic System Maintenance Checklist
WATER & CLOSED LOOP (GEOTHERMAL)
I need information on water or closed loop wells.
o Permit Application to Construct, Modify or Abandon a Water Well
o Water Well Construction Report
o Installation Report for Water Well Pumps
• Closed Loop Wells
o Permit Application to Construct, Modify or Abandon a Geothermal System
o Licensed Water Well Contractor Closed Loop Well Certification Application
o Application for Registration as a State Closed Loop Well Contractor
o Examination Application for State Closed Loop Certification
• 77 Ill. Admin Part 915 — The Illinois Water Well and Pump Installation Contractor License Code
• 77 Ill. Admin Part 920 — Illinois Water Well Construction Code
• 77 Ill. Admin Part 925 — Illinois Water Well Pump Installation Code
• 77 Ill. Admin Part 920 Section 920.120 — Abandoned Wells
Other Water Well & Geothermal Information:
• Residential Boil Water Guidance
• Guidelines for disinfecting your well
• Abandoning a well
• Emergency hauling, storing, and disinfecting water supplies
BODY ART & TANNING PROGRAMS
I want to open a tattoo parlor or licensed tanning establishment.
Information on becoming a licensed body art establishment can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health website. Click here to access.
Information on becoming a licensed tanning establishment can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health website. Click here to access.
Additional information on Body Art / Tanning:
• CDC information on Body Art
• FDA information on Tanning
To report an unlicensed body art of tanning facility please contact IDPH at (217) 785-2439
or file a report via email at the applicable address below.
Unlicensed body art email: DPH.BodyArt@illinois.gov
Unlicensed tanning establishment email: DPH.Tan@illinois.gov
HEALTHY HOMES INFORMATION
Prevention tips for protecting yourself and your children can be found at the Center for Disease Control website.
Additional information can be obtained at the Illinois Department of Public Health website.
What do I do if I think I have Radon in my home?
Test your home with a “do-it-yourself” kit which can be purchased at a hardware store.
Information can be found at:
• Radon and your home
• Illinois Emergency Management Agency about Radon
• EPA information on Radon
What do I do if I have mold in my house?
There are no standards or regulation for mold in the State of Illinois.
Useful links to information on mold are found below:
• Mold in your home
• EPA information on Mold
What do I do if I think I have a mercury spill?
Do not allow anyone to play with mercury or substances that you think is mercury. Do not vacuum or shopvac the mercury. Follow the instructions listed in the link below for small spills.
• How to clean up a small mercury spill in your home
• EPA information on mercury
Information on bed bugs found here:
• Bed Bugs Info from Illinois Department of Public Health
• EPA information on bed bugs