Brown County Septic ApplicationENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
LET'S HELP FIND WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR.
- I want to open a resturant or retail food establishment.
- I want to operate a temporary food/retail food stand.
- What are the requirements for farmers' markets or cottage food operations?
- I need additional food information (power outages, codes, etc.).
- I need information on installing and/or maintaining a septic system.
- I need information about water or closed loop wells.
- I want to open a tattoo or tanning establishment or report an unlicensed facility.
- I need Healthy Home information on lead, radon, mold, mercury or bed bugs.
TEMPORARY FOOD STAND
I want to operate a temporary food/retail food stand.
Here is the permit application you'll need:
Brown County Temporary Food Permit Application
See below for information on farmers' markets.
FARMERS' MARKET &
COTTAGE FOOD OPERATIONS
What are the requirements for farmers' markets or cottage food operations?
• IDPH Technical Information Bulletin Number 30 — Sanitation Guidelines for Farmers Markets
• Illinois Farmers Market Food Safety: A Guide for Vendors, Market Managers, and Consumers
• IDPH Technical Information Bulletin Number 44 — Cottage Food Operation
• IDPH Technical Information Bulletin Number 44A — Cottage Food Operations Supplemental
• Guidance for Bake Sales
I want to sell meat/poultry or eggs at a farmers' market.
• First, contact Brown County Health Department at (217) 773-2714.
• Obtain a “Temporary Food Permit” from Brown County Health Department.
• For meat/poultry, you must first obtain a meat & poultry license. Information can be found here from Illinois Department of Agriculture.
• For selling eggs, you must obtain an egg broker’s license. Information can be found here from Illinois Department of Agriculture.
PRIVATE SEWAGE DISPOSAL (SEPTIC)
I want information on installing and/or maintaining a septic system.
Here is the application and Illinois code information you'll need:
Brown County Septic Application
Other Septic Information:
WATER & CLOSED LOOP (GEOTHERMAL)
I need information on water or closed loop wells.
• Closed Loop Wells
o Permit Application to Construct, Modify or Abandon a Geothermal System
o Licensed Water Well Contractor Closed Loop Well Certification Application
o Application for Registration as a State Closed Loop Well Contractor
o Examination Application for State Closed Loop Certification
• 77 Ill. Admin Part 915 — The Illinois Water Well and Pump Installation Contractor License Code
• 77 Ill. Admin Part 920 — Illinois Water Well Construction Code
• 77 Ill. Admin Part 925 — Illinois Water Well Pump Installation Code
• 77 Ill. Admin Part 920 Section 920.120 — Abandoned Wells
Other Water Well & Geothermal Information:
• Residential Boil Water Guidance
• Guidelines for disinfecting your well
• Abandoning a well
• Emergency hauling, storing, and disinfecting water supplies
BODY ART & TANNING PROGRAMS
I want to open a tattoo parlor or licensed tanning establishment.
To report an unlicensed body art of tanning facility please contact IDPH at (217) 785-2439
or file a report via email at the applicable address below.
Unlicensed body art email: DPH.BodyArt@illinois.gov
Unlicensed tanning establishment email: DPH.Tan@illinois.gov
HEALTHY HOMES INFORMATION
Prevention tips for protecting yourself and your children can be found at the Center for Disease Control website.
Additional information can be obtained at the Illinois Department of Public Health website.
What do I do if I think I have Radon in my home?
Test your home with a “do-it-yourself” kit which can be purchased at a hardware store.
Information can be found at:
• Radon and your home
• Illinois Emergency Management Agency about Radon
• EPA information on Radon
What do I do if I have mold in my house?
There are no standards or regulation for mold in the State of Illinois.
What do I do if I think I have a mercury spill?
Do not allow anyone to play with mercury or substances that you think is mercury. Do not vacuum or shopvac the mercury. Follow the instructions listed in the link below for small spills.
• How to clean up a small mercury spill in your home
• EPA information on mercury
Information on bed bugs found here:
• Bed Bugs Info from Illinois Department of Public Health
• EPA information on bed bugs