Brown County Health Department

The mission of the Brown County Public Health Department is, "To protect and maintain the health of the people in Brown County."

Prevention of disease and promotion of health at the community level have always been our goals.

Contact Information

  • 120 E Main St.

    Mt. Sterling, IL 62353

  • Fax: 217-773-2512

Brown County Health Department

Betty Coonrod, RN, BSN, MPH


Car Seat Check Dates

Community Health

  • Communicable Disease Reporting and Investigation - All communicable and infectious disease cases must be reported to the Health Department. Our Communicable Disease Division is responsible for tracking and follow-up of any outbreaks or unusual cases.
  • Animal Bites and Follow-Up - Cat and dog bites and exposure from all other animals are to be reported to the Communicable Disease Division for follow-up and investigation.
  • Flu Vaccines - During the months of September, October, and November, we conduct flu clinics throughout Brown County, as well as offering flu shots at the health department. Call for times and locations of flu clinics.
  • International Travel Vaccine Information - We provide contact information regarding required immunizations, health requirements, and health hints for those traveling outside the country.
  • Infectious Disease Education - Educational materials are available for infectious diseases.
  • All Kids - Information about the Illinois All Kids Insurance Program can be obtained on their website.
  • Sexually Transmitted Diseases - We are able to provide recommendations and referrals for clients who have received a positive STD testing result. Educational material is also available.
  • Car Seat Safety Technician - If you are concerned about the safety or installation of your child’s car seat, contact us for a free car seat check-up. We have a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician.
  • Lab Services - Brown County Health Department offers cost-effective lab tests and test results. Hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 am - 10:30 am (certain labs may be available outside of these hours, call for more information) at the Brown County Health Department located at 120 East Main Street, Mt. Sterling, Illinois. We offer a full range of lab tests with results usually within 1 -2 days. Results will be sent to healthcare providers who will be responsible for patient notification and follow-up.  Our lab services require a physician's order. We offer a variety of payment options, including limited insurance billing. For more information or to make an appointment, call us at 217-773-2714.
  • IBCCP - Early detection saves lives. We offer screenings for breast and cervical cancer including pap smears, breast exams, and mammograms at no cost for eligible participants. Eligibility requirements include 35-64 years of age, no health insurance, high deductible or insurance that doesn't pay for screening services, live in Illinois and younger women with symptoms may qualify. For more details, call 217-357-2171
  • West Nile Virus Surveillance - Please see this sheet regarding the need for dead birds to contribute to our WNV surveillance efforts: West Nile Virus

Environmental Health

Licensed Food Establishment

I want to open a restaurant or retail food establishment.

Here is the documentation and permit application you'll need:

Yearly Food Application:

Temporary Food Stand

I want to operate a temporary food/retail food stand.

Here is the permit application you'll need:

I want to have a bake sale.

See below for guidance on selling baked goods:

Farmers' Market & Cottage Food Operations

What are the requirements for farmers' markets or cottage food operations?

I want to sell meat/poultry or eggs at a farmers' market.

Private Sewage Disposal (SEPTIC) Systems Program

I want information on installing and/or maintaining a septic system.

Here is the application and Illinois code information you'll need:
Brown County Septic Application

77 Ill. Admin Part 905 — Illinois Private Sewage Disposal Licensing Act and Code

Other Septic Information:

Body Art & Tanning Programs

I want to open a tattoo parlor or licensed tanning establishment.


To report an unlicensed body art of tanning facility please contact IDPH at (217) 785-2439 or file a report via email at the applicable address below.

Healthy Homes Information

Prevention tips for protecting yourself and your children can be found at the Center for Disease Control website.

Additional information can be obtained at the Illinois Department of Public Health website.

What do I do if I think I have Radon in my home?

Test your home with a “do-it-yourself” kit which can be purchased at a hardware store.
Information can be found at:

What do I do if I have mold in my house?

There are no standards or regulations for mold in the State of Illinois.

Useful links to information on mold are found below:

What do I do if I think I have a mercury spill?

Do not allow anyone to play with mercury or substances that you think are mercury. Do not vacuum or shop vac the mercury. Follow the instructions listed in the link below for small spills.

Bed Bugs
Information on bed bugs found here: