Brown County Treasurer/Collector
It is the mission of the Brown County Treasurer’s Office to provide prompt, courteous, and efficient services to all. The Treasurer’s Office will strive for professionalism, accountability, and integrity while following guidelines provided by Brown County, Illinois, and Federal laws.
- Receive and safely keep the revenues and other public monies of the county, and all money and funds authorized by law to be paid to the Treasurer, and disburse the same pursuant to law.
- Printing and mailing of tax bills based on data provided by other county and state agencies on assessments, exemptions, and tax rates.
- Collection of real estate taxes.
- Distribution of tax funds to the taxing bodies.
- Preparation of delinquent tax lists and mailing of notices to the taxpayer(s) on record.
- Obtaining tax-sale judgment orders.
- Conducting an annual tax sale to seek payment of delinquent taxes.
- Co-signs the payroll and accounts payable checks and deposits funds for the obligations. Payments are specifically authorized by law or by the County Board.
- Provide monthly reports to the County Board summarizing the financial status of the County.
Real Estate Taxes
How Do I Pay My Real Estate Taxes?
There are many options for making Brown County real estate tax payments. Please choose the most convenient method for you. We accept cash, personal checks, cashier's checks, and money orders. Credit/debit card payments are only accepted online. Do not send cash in the mail. We will not accept post-dated checks or two-party checks. If your check is returned by your bank for any reason, you will be charged a $25 returned check fee and your payment will be removed from the system. No credit/debit card payments will be accepted after the 2nd installment due date. No personal checks will be accepted after delinquent certified letters are mailed out.